Protests Against the candidacy of President Alassane Ouattara for a 3rd term. A declaration co-signed by EDS, CDRP, URD and LIDER on 15 August 2020:
DECLARATION OF THE EDS, CDRP AND THE URD AND LIDER POLITICAL PARTIES ON THE REPRESSION OF THE POPULATION DEMONSTRATIONS ON THURSDAY 13 AUGUST 2020
1. Thursday, August 13, 2020, the Ivorian people took to the streets of several cities in Côte d’Ivoire to protest against the poor conditions in preparation for the upcoming elections and to express their outrage at the declared candidacy of Mr. Alassane Dramane Ouattara to whom the Constitution, prohibited a third warrant.
2. The EDS and CDRP platforms, the political parties URD and LIDER recall that the right to demonstrate is guaranteed by law, as stipulated in Article 20 of the Constitution: “The freedoms of association, assembly and peaceful demonstration are guaranteed by law.” Moreover, the fundamental law of our country, in its article 1 of Title I, obliges the State to recognize the rights and duties set out in the present Constitution. It undertakes to take all necessary measures to ensure its effective application.”
3. Instead of deferring to its constitutional obligations by framing the peaceful demonstrations of the population, the Unified RHDP regime of Mr. Alassane Dramane Ouattara chose instead to repress, in blood, said demonstrations. Militiamen armed with machetes and other blunt objects, were transported to several places in the city of Abidjan and in some localities in the interior of the country, to attack walkers with bare hands. The power thus created the conditions of extreme tension that led, in several localities of the country, to communal clashes.
4. The provisional assessment of these sad events, to date, indicates a dozen deaths (12), numerous serious injuries, several people arrested and significant material damage, throughout the country.
5. The platforms EDS and CDRP, the political parties URD and LIDER bow to the memory of the disappeared, offer their condolences to the grieving families, wish a speedy recovery to the wounded and express their solidarity with the victims of the numerous material damages.
6. The EDS and CDRP platforms, the political parties URD and LIDER strongly condemn the unconstitutional acts of the unified RHDP regime which it holds solely and solely responsible for the killings of the demonstrators with bare hands and for all the harms suffered by the people of Côte d’Ivoire who only ask that strict compliance with the provisions of our fundamental law; especially since it authorizes and supervises, at the same time, the demonstrations of its supporters.
7. The EDS and CDRP platforms, the URD and LIDER political parties once again call upon the Head of State, Mr. Alassane Dramane Ouattara, on his personal responsibility to guarantee the people of Côte d’Ivoire peace and tranquility, by scrupulously respecting the Constitution which he himself inspired.
8. The EDS and CDRP platforms, the URD and LIDER political parties therefore call on the Head of State, Mr. Alassane Dramane Ouattara:
– to change its mind and simply renounce this third mandate which the Constitution forbids it;
– to respect its word and its commitments by complying with its declaration of 5 March 2020, not to be a candidate for a third term, before the Congress meeting in Yamoussoukro;
– to proceed with the release of all political, civilian and military prisoners and all persons arrested during the protests;
– to create the conditions for the safe return to the land of their ancestors of all exiles led by President Laurent Gbagbo, Prime Minister Guillaume Soro, Minister Charles Blé Goudé and Mayor Noël Akossi Benjo.
– without delay, taking into account the latest decision of the African Court of Human and Peoples’ Rights, a frank and republican dialogue with the opposition and all stakeholders with a view to the elaboration and consensual adoption of the conditions for fair, transparent and peaceful elections in Côte d’Ivoire. Lasting peace and social cohesion in our beloved homeland, Côte d’Ivoire, depend on it.
Done at Abidjan, 15 August 2020
For the CDRP Mr. Daniel AKA AHIZI.
For EDS Pr Georges Armand OUEGNIN
For the URD Mrs Daniel BONI CLAVERIE
For LIDER Ms Monique GBEKIA